Self-confidence is 'a feeling of trust in one's abilities, qualities, and judgement.' Lack of self-confidence will hold you back from pursuing your dreams. You need to overcome the fear of failure, and start believing in yourself. Certain opportunities will pass you by if you're not confident enough to seize the moment and make the most of it. Here are simple tips to building your confidence:
1)Groom yourself: The way you feel about yourself can be related to how well you dress and the level of your hygiene. For instance, you're meant to brush your teeth and bathe twice daily; in the morning and at night. As ladies, remove your weave and wash your hair regularly. Grooming also involves wearing neat clothes; well washed and ironed. Dress nicely. So, pay attention to your looks. You can look presentable without spending a fortune on clothes. It's about being stylish and dressing appropriately all the time. When you do all these, it tends to make you feel good about yourself and boost your confidence. In addition to this, remember to exercise in order to stay fit.
2) Think positive: It's amazing how our thoughts shape our lives. If you don't like your current state, then it's time to change how you think. Having a "victim mentality" can make your self-confidence to shrink beyond recognition. Focus on solutions, not problems. So, I need you to get rid of those negative thoughts and start thinking positively.
3) Know yourself: The art of self-mastery is something you must learn if you want to boost your confidence. If we take time to know our partners, why can't we also take time to study ourselves? You can start by writing a journal. Write down your strengths and weaknesses; your achievements; your past failures and what you learned from them; your temperaments and skills. Know your principles and live by them. Know who you are and what you want out of life. All these would help to point you in the right direction. You'll stop having unrealistic expectations of yourself and you'll start living your life deliberately. Hope this is making sense to you? If you have questions, drop them in the comment section.
4) Preparation: Whatever task you've been assigned, make sure you get adequately prepared before the time for your presentation. It could be an examination, a job interface or a presentation you have to deliver for your boss at work. In every case, make sure you get prepared beforehand. If it's a difficult task, keep practising till you become competent.
5) Act positive: For instance, replace negative statements like "I can't" with positive affirmations like "I can". You can do this in front of a mirror every day. It works!
6) Avoid negative people: Negative people always have a problem for every solution. They bring you down when you're trying to move up. They laugh at your dreams and never see the silver lining in anything. Whenever you're around them, you feel these negative vibes. If you're trying to build your confidence, you must avoid such people as much as you can.
7) Keep learning: The world is ever evolving. If you don't want to be left behind, you need to constantly upgrade yourself. One way to do this is by reading. The only solution to ignorance is knowledge. Ignorance makes you fearful. Knowledge boost your confidence. It's as simple as that.
8) Set small goals, and achieve them: Over time, move on to bigger goals. When you set out to achieve your goals, and you eventually achieve them, it give you this sense of accomplishment. You feel proud of yourself. Goals give us a sense of direction and a reason to wake up in the morning.
9) Don't compare yourself with others. Rather, focus on improving yourself. Don't be afraid to show your weaknesses. Don't be afraid to fail. When you make mistakes, don't blame others for your failures. Learn to accept responsibility for your actions. Don't seek approval from others. Don't worry about what other people think. In the same vein, don't judge others.
10) Posture: Smile more often. Stand tall. Sit straight. When talking, don't rush yourself. Make eye contact.
11) Learn to say No if you can't do something. Having the ability to say No is an indication that you're not a "people pleaser". Yes, it's good to help others, but when this interferes with your personal well being, it becomes a problem.
Here you have it guys! Like I usually say, this list is not exhaustive. There are so many other ways to build your self-confidence, but you can start with these ones. You don't even need to do all of the ten. Just choose the ones that applies to you and DO them. Yes, do them because these things don't work except you DO them. Confidence in yourself is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.
All the best!